RULES & POLICIES
RULES & POLICIES
Rhythm Elements Dance Studio strives to maintain a professional and positive learning environment for everyone. Thank you for adhering to our rules and policies to make for a happy dance family and studio atmosphere.
- Plan to arrive at least ten minutes before class starts. Come prepared and ready to go. Each class begins with a warm-up routine and it's important not to miss it. Students should always thank their teachers at the end of class.
- If you need to change into your dancewear, we have a dressing room for your convenience. Please do not leave personal items behind in the dressing room and studio rooms.
- Hair: Ballet students hair must be secured in a traditional ballet bun. There are videos on YouTube to assist you if you need instructions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUVmm9tzZs4 For all students, hair must always be completely off face and neatly secured. Jazz dance students and other dance styles will wear their hair in a ponytail.
- Proper dance clothes should be worn to all classes accompanied by the dance shoes that are required. Instructors need to see how the body is moving to prevent injury and ensure proper placement and technique.
- Please label or initial your child’s shoes and keep them in a dance bag. Dancers are responsible for their own belongings.
- Use the locker and cubbies to store bags, shoes, coats, etc. Remove food items from lockers before leaving the studio.
- Bring your positive attitude to class and leave your troubles at the door. Negative attitudes or inappropriate behavior by a student or parent could result in dismissal from class or the studio.
- Dismissal because of undisciplined behavior does not receive tuition refund.
- No food, drinks in the studio rooms.
- No chewing gum in class, it is a choking hazard.
- No cell phone use in class. Please turn off cell phone before entering class.
- Do not wear dangly earrings or necklaces to class for safety reasons.
- Avoid distractions and disruptions. Class time is a time to learn and not socialize – please do not distract others from learning by talking during class. Listening carefully is a critical part of the learning experience.
- Corrections: All students should listen when their teacher corrects another student as the suggestion may also apply to them. Students should NOT correct each other.
Siblings who are not in a class must be monitored by a parent in the waiting area.
Students are not to be left at the studio for excessive time periods before or after their classes. Please come a few minutes before class ends so that you can pick students up promptly on time.
Students are not allowed outside and must wait for in-studio pick-up by a designated parent after class ends. Please make sure that your child knows to wait for you inside the studio.
Parents may stay during the classes. Please use your inside voice when talking.
Young children must be kept quiet so our office staff can conduct business and for classrooms not to be disturbed.
Parents are welcome to watch class through the viewing windows. Your shadow can be seen by the students. Please do not spend the whole class time at the viewing window so as not to distract students.
Students must respect studio property. No hanging on the barres or touching the mirrors or playing on stairs and furniture. No running.
For their safety, students are not allowed in any studio room without a teacher present.
A student's placement may change at the discretion of the director and artistic director. Advancement depends upon a dancer's ability, not upon age or length of time spent studying dance and tumbling.
Students are placed on Pointe at the discretion of the instructor. A student must be at least 11.5-12 years old and attend ballet classes a minimum of two times per week to be considered for Pointe work.
Do not wear Tap shoes outside: Students will not be allowed to wear tap shoes that have been worn outside as they become abrasive and gouge the dance floor.
ATTENDANCE: Please make every effort to have your child at every class. Regular attendance is very important as the student will learn a great deal faster. Also, awards are given at the year-end Showcase for full seasonal participation (August - May). If a student absence becomes an on-going issue a meeting will be scheduled to discuss appropriate options. If you will be absent or sick please leave a message at the studio. There are no refunds given for missed classes. When there are 5 weeks in a month, you receive the 5th lesson free. This compensates for an occasional lesson missed due to illness or when a holiday falls on the day of the lesson. Absence due to illness or a extreme weather day, you may make-up in another appropriate level class at the discretion of the studio director and artistic director. Please note that studio holidays and vacations are factored in for the year and do not require a “make-up” day.
SITTING OUT: If a student is unable to dance, act, or tumble but is feeling well enough to attend class, we expect them to participate by observing so that they will retain key elements of class. Students who feel ill, have a fever, or are exhibiting “contagious” cold symptoms should stay home and rest. Cases of prolonged absence due to illness or injury should be discussed with the teacher.
SHOWCASE: Participation in the end of the year Showcase is not mandatory, however, it is strongly encouraged and is considered an important part of the overall dance experience. Being part of a performance helps build
self-esteem and self-confidence and gives students a chance to showcase the results of all of their hard work and progress.
DRESS REHEARSAL: The dates of the dress rehearsal and showcase will be provided in January. If you commit your child to participate in the annual showcase, they will be required to be present at the mandatory dress rehearsal in order to perform in the showcase.
SHOWCASE FEE: $70.00 per participant. The showcase fee goes toward the rental of the auditorium and all the things that go with that including lights, sound, security, etc. Each family that participates in the Showcase receives four (4) tickets. Extra tickets will be available for purchase as supplies last. All attendees (guests) need to purchase a ticket to attend the Showcase. If you have an infant under 18 months that can sit on your lap for the entire show WITHOUT disturbing others around you, then they will NOT need a ticket. Rhythm Elements normally holds it's annual Showcase in May or June, depending on availability of the theatre. A Showcase and Dress Rehearsal date will be posted by January. Proper shoes and tights are NOT covered in the Showcase fee and must be provided by the dancer. ALL SHOWCASE FEE AND COSTUME FEES ARE NON-REFUNDABLE.
COSTUMES: Students will learn a different showcase routine for each class they are enrolled in. Students in multiple classes are encouraged to participate in the performance of each of their classes. There is a different costume associated with each class.
Children will be measured for their costumes in November. Costumes will be ordered by Rhythm Elements by January to ensure delivery in time for the showcase. Costumes will be handed out by the end of April. If you paid for a costume and then your child dropped out of class, you may pick up your costume after May 15th. All costumes not picked up by the end of June will become the property of Rhythm Elements.
- Classes must have a minimum of 5 students and a maximum of 10 to 15 students per class (depending on style and age). Some restrictions or extensions may apply for reasons of studio size, age, and number of teachers in class. Classes may be cancelled if fewer than 5 students are enrolled.
- Parents, Siblings, & Visitors : Please remain in waiting room so we can have the focus and attention of the students while in class. There will be opportunities during the year for parents and family members to sit in class and view the students progress. Visitors are allowed only on selected days. Observation days will be posted.
- INSURANCE: RHYTHM ELEMENTS DANCE STUDIO DOES NOT CARRY MEDICAL INSURANCE FOR ITS STUDENTS. It is required that ALL students be covered by their own family insurance policies.
- Classes follow the Newton County School District schedule with the exception of parent/teacher conferences and certain holidays. Snow cancellations will be announced on the studio Facebook page by 12:00 p.m. If there is no school, there generally is no studio classes for safety of students, parents and teachers.
- Smoking, illegal drugs, alcohol, firearms and non-traditional service animals are prohibited on Rhythm Elements Dance Studio property.
- The basic code of conduct outlined above will help teach our students respect that will carry over into all aspects of their lives and has lifetime benefits.
The studio will be closed on the following holidays/breaks/events for the 2019/20 school year:
Labor Day (September 2, 2019) CLOSED
Fall Break (October 7-13, 2019) CLOSED
Columbus Day (October 14, 2019) OPEN
Halloween (October 31, 2019) CLOSED
Veterans Day (November 11, 2019) OPEN
Thanksgiving (November 22-30, 2019) CLOSED
Christmas/Winter Break (December 23, 2019-January 5, 2020) CLOSED
Martin Luther King, Jr. Day (January 21, 2020) CLOSED
Mid-Winter Break (February 14-18, 2020) CLOSED
Spring Break (April 6-12, 2020) CLOSED
Memorial Day (May 25, 2020) CLOSED
Dress Rehearsal/Annual Spring Dance Showcase (June 11, 2020) CLOSED
Annual Spring Dance Showcase (June 13, 2020) CLOSED
Summer Camp (June 22-July 24) OPEN
Independence Day (Thursday, July 4, 2020) CLOSED
Open House Registration/Fall Classes (July 25, 2020) OPEN
New Fall Dance Season Begins 2020-2021 (August 3, 2020) OPEN
Click Here to Add a Title
Click Here to Add a Title
"My teen daughter wants to be a professional dancer and Rhythm Elements has helped her so much to build her skills, develop her talent and grow her confidence. We are very pleased with the program." ― Dawn R.